There has been a school at Edwards and Observatory since 1823, when the two-room Mornington School first was built. That was replaced in 1872 with a new building, at a time when Hyde Park was largely rural. Suburban development began in the 1890s, and a new school was needed for the growing population. The building currently standing was designed by architect Samuel Hannaford, one of Cincinnati’s most famous architects and is noted for its twin turrets and magnificent gabled red tile roof. The four-story building was constructed and dedicated on May 22, 1902. With the continued development of more and more homes in Hyde Park additional space was needed in the school. The 1872 structure was still used until the 1920s, at which time it was torn down to make room for a two-story brick addition with a gym to the rear that was connected to the original building and opened in 1927. Both of these buildings are still standing today.
Hyde Park Elementary School was closed in 2005 due to a decline in the student population. The building was then used as a temporary location for Kilgour and Mt. Washington schools while their buildings were being renovated.
In August 2012 Hyde Park School proudly reopened its doors to meet the diverse needs of all students through three learning communities: the Cincinnati Gifted Academy – a gifted learning community serving students throughout the District in grades 3-6, a neighborhood school – a traditional learning community serving students from Hyde Park, Oakley, and Evanston, and a preschool.
After the 2014-15 school year, the preschool was removed to accommodate the growing number of students in the neighborhood school. Also starting with the 2016-17 school year, the magnet Cincinnati Gifted Academy started moving out to make additional space for the growing neighborhood school. The 2019-20 school year was the last year for any Cincinnati Gifted Academy classes. Hyde Park School now has 550 students from mostly the Hyde Park and Oakley neighborhoods.